1) “What is the difference between the Gorrie PTA and the John B. Gorrie
2) “What is the mission of the Foundation?
Secure funding to expand and enhance the educational experience of every student at Gorrie Elementary School
3) “So what does that mean?” This typically translates to
● Purchasing educational tools that the district and/or state are unable to provide – be it
technology, supplemental curriculum, valuable student services or teacher training
● Paying for teacher or personnel support salaries (e.g., M.A.G.I.C. tutoring and Gorrie
● Supporting sustainable multi-year educational projects (e.g., M.A.G.I.C clubs)
● Funding large-scale site improvements
● Maintaining/enhancing prior investments (e.g., Coliseum, recent sound system installed)
4) “What does the Foundation currently fund?”
● Gorrie Strings – When Hillsborough County cut funding to all elementary violin programs,
Gorrie and Mitchell decided to partner and fully fund the program. All Kindergartners and 1st
graders receive string instruction from Mr. Timothy Dow as part of their curriculum. 2nd-5th
graders have the option to participate.
● Tutoring – An invitation-only, no-fee program extended to those students, based upon
teacher assessment, in need of educational assistance
● M.A.G.I.C. Enrichment Clubs - After school fee-based clubs offered to enhance your child’s
overall experience at Gorrie. Each session, 4 per year, includes a variety of offerings (e.g.,
cooking, volleyball) to meet the diverse interests of our students.
5) “Are there any new projects in the works?”
● Operation Cutting Edge Technology: Phased initiative to update our school's technology
with an eventual goal to be a one to one device school
● Gorrie Grows grows: Expansion of our Gorrie garden to include a blueberry garden, seedling
table, composting bins, and a worm farm
● Addition of filtered drinking fountains
6) “How do we fund these important projects?
The Foundation is only capable of funding these programs through the generous donations we receive from our parents and community partners. The Gorrie Gala is Foundation’s annual fundraiser. The Gala raises money through ticket sales, live/silent auctions and sponsorships. It is an amazing night out with great food, live music and the chance to make new connections with parents and teachers.
Over the past several years, the Foundation has funded many academic enhancements, technology/audio visual needs, campus beautification projects and other items.
- Academic Enhancements: Inner Explorer Program, BrainPop, Committee for Children
Program, Wordly Wise
- Technology/Audio Visual: Grade Level Laptop Carts, Classroom Projectors, Student Hearing
Aids, Large Format Projection Screen & Projector for Coliseum & Movie Night Events
- Campus Beautification & Initiatives: Gorrie Grows Initiative, Kindness Bathroom
Beautification Project, Resurface Basketball Courts, First Grade Flower Tables, Year-round
Landscaping and Lawn Maintenance
- Student Programs & Other Items: Unfunded portion of Strings & Tutoring Programs, Artome
funding to cover 100% of Students, Washer/Dryer, Foundation Lecture Series, Media
Center Support, Teacher of the Year Awards, Teacher Appreciation Week Contributions
Did You Know?
When schools, families, and community groups work together to support learning, children tend to do better in school, stay in school longer, and like school more.
The Foundation raises a significant amount of money from the Gorrie Gala, it's largest fundraiser. These dollars help fund many important projects for Gorrie, including the entire build of our Coliseum!
Meet the Board of Directors
President – Michael Lynch
Vice President – Holly Dixon
Treasurer – Catherine McDonough
Assist. Treasurer - Duane Clark
Secretary – John Henry
MAGIC - Sarah Weaver
Strings – Carrie Pfeil
Social / Gala - Erica Healey
Communications – Jenn Richardson
MEMBERS AT LARGE
NON VOTING MEMBERS
Principal- Marjorie Sandler
Vice Principal- Lauren Kiernan
Ex-Officio- Karen Hussey
PTA President- Tina Caputo
PROGRAM CHAIRS & COMMITTEE MEMBERS
Ex-officio: Laura Valenti
Gala: Karrie Mueller
Strings: Carrie Pfeil
Magic: Jennifer Mockler
Bricks: Holly Dixon
Communications: Meagan Moore